Welcome to the Difficult Encounters Forum!

Landing Page Forums Difficult Encounters Welcome to the Difficult Encounters Forum!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Bill Russell
      Keymaster

Welcome to the Difficult Encounters Forum!

This forum is designed to be a safe space for you to discuss difficult problems that you might have in an encounter. This is meant for you to use as a way to let go of difficult situations for your own self-care. If you need specific advice, we recommend posting in our Ethics Discussion Forum as well, as this is primarily intended to be a place where people can commiserate about their experiences and receive the support of their colleagues so that they know that they are not alone. Be sure when discussing the encounter to omit names, locations, and genders so as to keep the discussion anonymous and to observe health privacy laws.

Thank you for being a VoicesAcademy member, and know that we care about you and are here to help!

Iantha Fyolek
      Participant

Thank you for starting this Group. I’ve been reading a lot of articles lately about PTSD in nurses, doctors, EMT personnel, etc. and how their emotional needs are often overlooked in difficult situations. I feel that this applies to interpreters as well. I found that in a couple of my most difficult cases. I was both put on a pedestal as a saviour for being able to help the staff communicate during a crucial time as well as being treated like a piece of furniture, devoid of any feelings at all despite what we had just witnessed. It’s a hard dichotomy sometimes, and always a very difficult path to maneuver when dealing with our own emotional aftermath of the words/emotions we just conveyed.

I’ve found that I have a much more macabre sense of humor now than I did before I started interpreting, and I recognize that it has become a way for me to deal with some of the uglier parts of humanity that we bear witness (and give voice) to.

Bill Russell
        Keymaster

What types of things do you do to cope? I know for me I need to do my yoga practices and journaling in order to stay sane. I am curious what types of activities work for you?

Iantha, thanks for sharing! There is some good discussion about the emotional needs of interpreters in the following videos: “Interpreting for Refugees in Social Service Encounters”, “Medical Interpreting for Refugees” and “Interpreting for Trauma Survivors.”

Iantha Fyolek
      Participant

My husband also works in a high-stress environment (Corrections Officer at a Super-Max prison in a mental health/transitional housing unit) so we use each other as sounding boards quite a bit. I also work out a good bit to relieve stress, and I spend quite a bit of time playing my violin for stress relief as well.

Michelle, thanks for suggesting those. I will have to take a look at them.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© Copyright 2013-2024- Voices For Health, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.