Welcome to the Research Exchange forum!

Landing Page Forums Research Exchange Welcome to the Research Exchange forum!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

The purpose of this forum is to share research questions, activities and publications related to interpreting and translation. Members may post links to online surveys, contact information or publications.

Cindy Breunig
      Participant

Hello,

My name is Cindy Breunig and I have been following the discussion on research on the NCIHC listserv very closely. Thank you for creating this forum and opening a space for ongoing discussion. I am currently a Spanish Medical Interpreter, Interpreter Services Coordinator, and graduate student pursuing my Masters in Education in Adult Learning. I also teach interpreter training courses part time at a local technical college.

I am embarking on my graduate research project and I am trying to decide how to proceed. I want to focus on how interpreter training can successfully support refugee interpreters to pass national certification exams. In our local area, some skilled interpreters from refugee communities have not been able to pass the written CoreCHI exam and I want to explore why, so trainers can focus their efforts to help overcome the barriers that refugees may face in taking this test. I am not sure whether to attempt qualitative research through case studies and/or interviews with interpreters, or if I should focus more on extensive literature review. Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Congratulations on entering your graduate program, Cindy! Your proposed research sounds very worthwhile, with applicability beyond refugee interpreters. Typically, when you do not know exactly what questions/responses should be used for a quantitative analysis, a qualitative pilot study can help you to identify issues that can be later explored with a quantitative study. While individual interviews would be useful, you might also want to consider focus groups; this gives the participants an opportunity to interact and expand on each others’ responses.

Cindy Breunig
      Participant

Hi Michelle,

Thanks so much for your feedback, it is really helpful. I think the focus group idea is a good one and I am going to explore it further. I look forward to reading more discussion in this forum and learning from your and others’ research in the future!

Cindy

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© Copyright 2013-2024- Voices For Health, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.